There's nothing quite so satisfying as getting a good sweat on in a fitness class. We've all seen how steamy the studio can get after a killer cardio session! But what about classes where the room is intentionally heated before we even begin? Believe it or not, there are real benefits to taking a heated class. Read on to learn more about why you should consider adding a heated class to your routine, and for some tips to stay comfortable and healthy through those classes!
There are a number of benefits to working out in a heated room. At Studio Poise, we rely on heaters to add intensity to some of our yoga and strength classes; we don't heat any of our cardio classes. Wondering why we kick things up a notch by making the temperatures climb?
Heated fitness classes improve cardiovascular health.
Working out in a heated room makes your heart work harder. You may feel like you can't work out with the same intensity as you would in a non-heated class; that's because of the extra cardiovascular effort involved thanks to the heated room. As long as you're in good health, it's perfectly safe to ramp up the intensity from time to time. As an added benefit, if you consistently take heated classes, you should notice that you can push further in non-heated classes, thanks to your improved heart performance!
Heat helps with flexibility.
Practicing yoga in a heated room can help you to reach new levels of flexibility as you work through poses. The higher temperature means your muscles warm up faster, and you should feel it as you progress through the class. Go with the flow and be amazed by what your body can accomplish! As always, listen to your body and don't do anything that doesn't feel right - you don't want to risk injury - but don't be afraid to explore how the heat helps your range of motion.
Sweating can help with detoxifying your body.
If you've been feeling sluggish or not your best, taking a heated class can be a bit like hitting the reset button. Because you'll be sweating - a lot - you'll be ridding your body of any toxins that may have built up. You'll be drinking plenty of water both during and after the class to replenish the fluids you lost, which also helps to flush out your body.
So... are you ready to steam up those mirrors? Here are some helpful tips to make sure your first heated class experience is a positive one!
- Drink lots of water. Since you'll be sweating - a lot - it's important to make sure you're hydrated. Drink some water before class, have a full water bottle handy during class, and drink a full water bottle within 30-45 minutes of finishing class to make sure you replenish your body's fluids.
- Bring a towel. If you normally don't sweat much during a workout, trust us, you're going to sweat during these classes! Have a towel on hand to wipe your face as needed. It's also helpful to have a towel nearby in case you feel your hands slipping during planks or downward dog.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Make sure that you're wearing breathable fabrics that wick moisture away from your body. Avoid long sleeves or full length pants.
- Leave the perfume at home. If you're planning to take a heated class during the day, skip perfume that morning. Scents can be intensified in the heated space, and perfume can go from pleasantly floral to overwhelming fast.
- Listen to your body. You know your body better than anyone, and it's important to listen to what it's telling you. Take breaks as needed, and if you feel like an exercise isn't working for you, ask for modifications. If the heat is getting to be too much, don't be afraid to step out of the room, drink some water, and take a few minutes to cool down before resuming the class.
Don't miss our heated classes at Studio Poise!
If you've never taken a heated class before, you may want to start by trying Hip Hop Yoga with Ali White (Mondays at 5:15pm, Wednesdays at 6:45pm). The room is gently heated for this class and Ali will lead you through a series of yoga postures. You'll get your sweat on, but your mat will be there if you need to drop into child's pose for a quick breather.
If you're ready to step up your game, you won't want to miss the newest addition to the Studio Poise schedule - Poised & HOT Bodies, taught by Danielle on Fridays at 10am. The heat is cranking for some signature DRo strength and toning exercises. The class combines strength and toning moves with yoga, barre, and stretching - you'll get a little bit of everything and will leave the class feeling stronger and more flexible. Leave the mat at home - while Danielle incorporates yoga into this class, the bulk of the class is spent standing or at the barre. It's the perfect Friday class to kick start your weekend - you definitely don't want to miss this!